Improve your organization’s capabilities in planning, budgeting, regulatory, revenue and accounting.
What’s better than the best of both worlds? The UIPlanner World.
Just like a traditional application, UIPlanner enables you to:
UIPlanner was re-engineered to a Java-based application in 2006. Since then we have made seven major upgrades to our software adding hundreds of new features. UIPlanner capabilities reflect best practices based on the input of major companies comprising almost 3% of the US economy. For planning, budgeting, regulatory, revenue and accounting we provide ready-to-use:
- Data processing engines
- Functional templates (e.g. bond calculations, depreciation)
- Scenario management
- Security and change controls
Assume you need to change how you calculate margin on 100 customers across twelve months across five scenarios.
- If you are using traditional software, you hire a programmer to change the logic.
- If you are using a spreadsheet, you fix it yourself in 6,000 (100 x 12 x 5) cells, hopefully without making an error.
- If you are using UIPlanner, you change the formula in just one place yourself.
Planning, budgeting, regulatory, revenue and accounting processes all require that data be shared and controlled. Our software enables you to:
- Use any standard database (e.g. Oracle, SQL Server).
- Track who made which changes and when.
- Provide results to both UIPlanner and other reporting tools.
As with spreadsheets, with UIPlanner you can:
Business analysts build and maintain business logic within a framework of secured access and change management. Business logic is built using three tools:
- Formulas: For example, to calculate profit from revenue (row A) and cost (Row B), you simply enter “A – B.”
- Functions: To save time in constructing business logic, you can use pre-packaged functions (e.g. Tax Depreciation, Amortize, 13-Month Average).
- Frameworks: Leverage built-in frameworks for allocations, two-side accounting entry, consolidations, etc.
When you buy traditional applications, you typically buy a module (e.g. labor budgeting, plant, consolidations). The scope of the software is predefined to only serve the stated purpose of the module.
Spreadsheets and UIPlanner are both very flexible in that they are not constrained to serve only pre-defined purposes. The flexibility of our software enables companies to apply UIPlanner to a growing list of purposes, such as tax settlement analyses, energy-efficiency analyses, incentive compensation calculations and more. We provide you the power to tame any large, unwieldy spreadsheet application by putting it in a scalable, transparent, shared, and controlled environment. Moreover, we enable you to shed custom one-off applications that are written and maintained (often quite expensively) by internal staff.
We leverage your team’s existing knowledge and familiarity with Excel. You can:
- Enter data in Excel
- Produce any report in Excel
- Generate Excel workbooks with working formulas
- Populate pivot tables
UIPlanner combines the best of both worlds, but it also offers its own unique capabilities rarely found in other software. Welcome to the World of UIPlanner.
UIPlanner uses its innovative architecture to process huge volumes of data quickly. Some examples:
- For a major utility with one of the most complex (if not the most complex) cost allocation requirements, our software processes 120 months of allocations in ten minutes. To accomplish the same task, their general ledger takes hours to process a single period.
- For another utility that must determine the possible rate impacts on its five million customers, our software calculates all bills under three scenarios for sixty months or approximately one billion bills (i.e. ~5 million x 60 x 3) in less than an hour. With this precision, all calculations in their billing system are matched to the penny.
UIPlanner offers exceptional transparency in calculation formulas, functions and frameworks.
- Traditional applications typically involve “black box” processes. Users have no access to calculations.
- Spreadsheets show formulas that are not as descriptive as those shown in UIPlanner. For example, what does “Sheet16!B2-Sheet12!D22” mean?
- Logic tools in UIPlanner are transparent:
- Formulas: Click on a number such as profit to see “[Revenue] 100 – [Cost] 90” = [Profit] 10.
- Functions: Click on a result of a pre-built function such as tax depreciation and see the underlying calculation.
- Frameworks: Click on an account balance and see all underlying postings and supporting calculations.
Unlike traditional applications and spreadsheets, UIPlanner allows you to create and manage scenarios easily with different assumptions and business logic. Our scenario comparison capabilities are extensive, including the ability to isolate drivers behind changes (e.g. sales volume, supply costs, interest rates and more). Contrast this with the approach of managing scenarios by making copies of spreadsheets and manually constructing formulas to compare two scenarios.
UIPlanner was successfully engineered to never need customization. UIPlanner adapts to any client’s business logic, business process and data structures. We accomplish this by putting all of your business logic and process maps into your database and not into hard-coded lines in a program. We also created a visionary and flexible approach to metadata management. As a result:
- You do not need programmers
- You can upgrade easily
- You do not have to make compromises to fit your business to our software